Blessed Gérard, pray for us!
It was in the year 1099, that Blessed Gérard founded a brotherhood of dedicated people at the house of the hospital of St. John the Baptist in Jerusalem, who were referred to as "the brothers, who come to serve the poor and protect the Catholic Faith". This brotherhood developed into a religious Order by AD 1113, which is in our days called the Sovereign Military and Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem, of Rhodes and of Malta (or the Order of Malta).
Blessed Gérard was a holy man, who was praised by contemporary sources as well as posthumously.
Blessed Gérard died on 3. September 1120 and his epitaph in the convent he founded reads as follows:
(Quoted from H. J. A. Sire: The Knights of Malta,
- Here lies Gerard, the humblest man among the dwellers in the East;
- The servant of the poor, a welcoming friend to strangers;
- He was lowly in mien, but within him shone a noble heart.
- The measure of his goodness may be seen within these walls.
- He was provident in many things, painstaking in all he did;
- He undertook many tasks of diverse nature;
- Stretching out his arms diligently to many lands,
- He gathered from everywhere the means to feed his people.
Reprint New Haven and London 1994)
The presence of a relic of Blessed Gérard in our church and the fact, that our relief organisation and all its projects are named after Blessed Gérard in honour of his vocation, which we humbly share, we consider it our special task and honour to promote the veneration of Blessed Gérard as an outstanding example of Christian charity and dedication the God, who we meet in our Lords, the Sick.
We celebrate Holy Mass every weekday at 5:30 a.m. GMT (7:30 a.m. local time) in the church of Blessed Gérard's Care Centre and pray for the sick, for those, who serve them, for our benefactors and for those, who have asked us for our prayers. You may add your prayer request/intention to our intercessory prayer list by using the form underneath:
Back to the homepage of the Brotherhood of Blessed Gérard